Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Houston, TX (no pictures, but a long story)

I remembered today that this blog is meant to be about our family, not just the boy. I also realized that though I've mentioned that we've moved to Texas, I never mentioned why. Here's the short version of the last 8 months of our lives:

It started with our friends, Brian and Rachel, announcing that they were moving to the bay area of Houston to plant a church. At the time, Gilbert and I looked at each other and said, "We'll miss them, but good for them." That was that. Three days later Gilbert started joking about moving to Texas. I laughed. We laughed. We joked. Within a few hours Gilbert got a phone call from someone who randomly said, "Hey, you want to move to Texas?" Gilbert got off the phone with them and called me. At that point it stopped being a joke and we knew we really needed to pray about it. We needed to know if God was trying to get our attention. After much prayer and seeking advice from those we trust and are accountable to, we came to the decision that we would go with Brian and Rachel to Texas. I was 7 months pregnant at the time and we decided we would stay until after Matthew was born and we would try to sort things out with our condo and Gilbert's job. The plan was to move in the spring of 2008.

Gilbert, Matthew, and I flew out in December for a job interview, to meet the people that would become our family, and to look for a place to call home. We put an offer in on a house while we were here and Gilbert was offered the job. We decided we would make the big move at the end of January. The process with the house was long and stressful. We were in Houston for 4 weeks before we got into our house. We held the house with an open hand and even looked into several rentals in the process, just in case. Ultimately, things worked out with our home (thanks to a few key people who have been amazing to us) and we've been in our home for almost 5 weeks now.

When we got here, our church was still meeting in our friends' home. The church started out with about 4 or 5 families. The adults are outnumbered by the children. Since moving here, we've added a few people to our "core group" and we had our official launch on Easter Sunday. There were 120 people at OneLife's launch. We had a lot of people at our second Sunday service as well. We will have a barbecue this coming Sunday to get to know more people and so far we have at least 30 people say they are coming and they are bringing friends. God has been good to us and our family here. We know that this season will bring growth and with growth come growing pains =). We've never been more excited to see what God has in store for us.

That's the SHORT version of our story. I'll make sure to post updates along with those of our growing precious boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment