Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ok, some of you have been updated and others have not yet. Here is the drama from the last 12 hours of our lives.

I woke up at 2am to Matthew making some noise over the monitor and for some reason I decided to go check on him. I usually wait it out to see if he'll settle back down but last night I actually went upstairs to check on him. When I got outside his door I realized his breathing didn't sound right so I went in to get him and realized he was seizing. I ran downstairs and woke Gilbert up and had him call 911 while I ran back upstairs to get Matthew. He seized for a good 5 minutes before the paramedics got here and we were rushed to the ER. His temp was 103.7 when they got here and it was up to 104.5 by the time we got to the ER.

Once we were there and they'd run some tests they determined that he'd had a febrile seizure. He has an ear infection, which caused the high fever, which in turn triggered the seizure. With these seizures it's not how high the fever gets but how quickly it spikes that causes the seizure so there's really no way to know when he can have one. He will be susceptible to these types of seizures until he is 5-6 years old and at the slightest hint of fever we need to treat it aggressively with fever reducing meds. All in all, he's going to be okay and we just have to watch him closely.

On top of that, I had been talking to his doctor yesterday about some changes I'd noticed in his urine and they wanted to test him for diabetes markers on Friday. Last night the hospital ran a glucose test without me saying anything about it and his glucose levels were extremely high. We checked in with a pediatrician this morning and they tested his urine and it came back clean. They said that the body can react that way to stress or illness. All in all, no diabetes. This is also a good thing.

That's basically the gist of the scariest night of my life. Our God is good and our little boy is going to be fine. Give us a call if you want more details and I'll be sure to update soon on how he's doing.

A couple of pictures of Matthew in his new chair. Just to lift the mood a little =)

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Whew, Melissa & Gilbert -- thank God for how things turned out last night (and this morning)! Thanks for the story and update. With love, Paula Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew. Praying for you guys.

    -Stephen May

    ReplyDelete